Monday, June 27, 2011

Kalk Bay



Ok, so on Saturday, I went to Kalk Bay and it was blogworthy, but I just hadn't gotten the chance to write about it until now.  We went to this fish and chips place called Kaulky's and it was legit because there really wasn't anything on the menu besides seafood (unless you wanted to be the boring person who got the Greek Salad), so I got some hake and chips.  Note that here, chips is the word for French Fries.  Anyway, in true South Africa National Geographic style, there were 3 seals swimming in the harbo(u)r so you could see them up close.  Another memorable part of that day was that there was a band playing these xylophone type instruments and guess what one of the songs was that they played?  Come on...think of a  song that would make you extra happy and highly aware that you were in Africa at the moment?  WAKA WAKA!! hahaha I was so excited.  I couldn't help but throw a 2 rand coin in their hat.  We have the dollar.  South Africa has the rand.  I think its 6.5 rand to a dollar and I always have to take a minute to convert prices in my head, although I've found that prices here are for the most part the same as in America.  Except, however, movie tickets here cost about the equivalent of 3 U.S. dollars (Harry Potter, here I come!!) and my host family was scandalized when I told them that tickets cost 10 bucks at home.  The money here is so much prettier than in the U.S. because each bill has some awesome animal on it- the 200 rand note has a leopard, the 100 has a buffalo, the 50 has a lion, the 20 has an elephant, and the 10 has a rhino.  Also, as the amount the bill is worth goes down, the actual length of the bill becomes sliiightly shorter (cool).  fun fact: the leopard, the buffalo, the rhino, the elephant, and the lion are the "Big 5" animals that South Africa is famous for.  Well, that was quite the tangent about the money, but anyway, I liked Kalk Bay.  We also did a bit of shopping, but I'm trying to control myself, so I've been kind of stingy so far!  It's only a matter of time though haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment